Ottawa Field School on Global Justice Advocacy Summer 2023
Advocating for Global Justice
You need to know how to advocate and engage effectively on international development issues and global justice in order to effect change in development policy and practice.
The Ottawa field school will give you an understanding the nature and role of public, private and civil society institutions engaged in international development as well as an in-depth knowledge of the processes through which international development policy and practice are established, and the means through which these processes can be influenced through advocacy and activism.
Join the Ottawa field school and you'll have an experiential learning opportunity through which you can reflect critically on the processes through which international development policy and practice is established, and develop the necessary skills in effective advocacy.
First, you'll spend a few days in classroom-based instruction and engaged learning on the University of Guelph campus.
In Ottawa, you'll engage with key international development stakeholders, visit public, private and civil society institutions involved in international development policy and practice, or in advocacy and activism in international development.
On the Ottawa Field School you'll:
- Learn the nature and role of the key Canadian public, private and civil society institutions engaged in global justice policy and practice.
- Gain the knowledge and skills required for effective engagement with these institutions and advocacy and activism aimed at influencing global justice policy and practice.
- Reflect critically on the role of advocacy and activism and its effectiveness at bringing about changes in global justice policy and practice in differing contexts.
- Create an advocacy or activism plan directed at a specific global justice issue and related policy and/or practice.
Application deadline: January 20 2023
Virtual Ottawa Field School Information Session:
Wednesday November 23rd, 4:00 - 5:00 pm on Teams
Join on your computer, mobile app or room device
Meeting ID: 299 457 178 91
Field School Instructor
Field School Dates
The Ottawa Field School will be offered during the Summer 2023 semester, in May.
The tentative dates for the program are:
- On-campus, Guelph: May 3 - 5, 2023
- Ottawa: May 8 - May 19, 2023
Students will be registered in IDEV*3500, Field Course in Development Studies (1.0 credits). Questions about possible substitutions for IDS majors should be directed to Lisa Blenkinsop at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students should budget for the following:
- Transportation to Ottawa
- Accommodations and some meals in Ottawa (see information below)
- Tuition and fees for 1.0 credits to the University of Guelph
- The Ottawa Field School fee: $900, which includes transportation within Ottawa for group activities, admission fees for venues, lunches and meeting refreshments. This fee is subject to change and will be confirmed prior to acceptance to the program.
Accommodations for the Ottawa field school are flexible: students can arrange their own accommodation at local hostels, hotels or with friends/family to keep the costs of the program down. A reservation will be made at a local hotel for students interested in shared group accommodations based on the number of students interested in this option.
Students applying to the Ottawa Field School must have 7.5 U of G credits (by May 2023), and a 70% cumulative average.
Preference will be given to students who are majoring in International Development Studies, but students from other disciplines are also welcome to apply.
Download the Ottawa Field School application form from the link below.
Submit the completed application by email to email@example.com by January 20, 2023 at 11:59 pm.